If you are using any Samsung device, like galaxy smart phone, Note, tab you can have some issues while using them. You might be experiencing problems like app freezing, app crashing, making some weird noises or not making noise at all, not making and/or receiving calls, not syncing with other devices.
If you are having such problems you can fix them by factory data resetting. You can do it both power on and off. In this article we are gonna talk about how to reset Samsung phone when its power on.
There is a one important thing you need to keep in your mind. It is when you are doing factory data reset, all information and data on your device is deleted. Such as all apps, music, photos, videos, files, and system settings. Therefore before doing factory reset, you need to back up all your data.
How to backup your data
If your Samsung device’s version is older than 7.0 (Nougat), follow below steps to back up your data.
- On the Home screen, select Apps.
- Next on the Apps screen, go to the page that contains the Settings icon and then select Settings.
- On the Settings screen, select Back Up and Reset.
- In the Backup and Restore section, select Back Up My Data.
Within these few steps you can back up all your data. Next thing you need to do is keep in mind your Google email address and password. After reset your phone, it will ask them to log into your Google account. And also if you have got a decryption key for your SD card, you need to remember that key also. If you remember it you can access to the SD card after reset. When you are factory resetting your device, data in SD card won’t be deleted.
Back up Manually
If you can access to your device and you have not set your device to automatically back up, then you can follow below steps to back up your data manually.
- Slide down the Quick setting menu.
- Select Settings icon.
- On the Settings screen, find Accounts and backup option and tap on it.
- Select Backup and restore.
- Tap Back Up My Data, that is in the Google Account section.
- On the Back Up My Data screen, select Off to turn backup on. Now your device back up your data to Google.
Factory Reset a Samsung Tablet or Phone
When you set up your device at first time you can back up all your data to Google account. Then after reset your device all you need is restore your apps and data. These are the steps you need to follow for reset Samsung phone when its power on. You can follow these steps in all Samsung Galaxy tablets, Samsung Galaxy S smart phones, and Galaxy Note phablets that are running Android 7.0 (Nougat) and 8.0 (Oreo) version.
- Firstly slide down the Quick Settings menu.
- Select the Settings icon.
- On the Settings screen, find General Management option in the category list and tap on it.
- In the General Management screen, select Reset.
5. Tap Factory Data Reset in the Reset screen.
6. In the Factory Data Reset screen, select Reset or Reset Device, But this is depending on the your device.
7.Select Delete All.
8. Wait few minutes. After you can see the Android Recovery screen. Then press the Volume Down button go to the Wipe data/factory reset option.
9.Press on the Power button.
10. There will be a warning screen and press the volume down button until the Yes option is highlighted.
11.Next press the Power button.
12. Wait for a few seconds, Now you can see the Android Recovery screen with the Reboot System Now option. Then press the Power button to reboot your system.
For earlier versions of Samsung devices
If your Samsung device is running on some earlier android version like Android 6.0(Marshmallow) or an earlier one you can follow below steps for reset Samsung phone when its power on.
- Select Apps on the Home screen.
- On the Apps screen, go to the page that the Settings icon is in. then tap on it.
- Next select Back Up and Reset.
- Select Factory Data Reset.
- Select Reset Device.
- Finally select Delete All.
Within above steps you would be able to reset your Samsung phone or tablet. After your device resets, you can see the Welcome screen. Now you can set up your device as you want. Above methods will help you to reset Samsung phone when its power on.
After these methods, still you cannot reboot your device you can contact Samsung. You can get information and have a live chat via them website. You can contact them via calling also. There contact number is 1-800-726-7864. Call them from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m eastern time Monday to Friday. And from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. eastern time on weekends. Samsung team will ask you to access your device to test it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is there no factory reset option?
Some devices do not have a wipe option in the recovery menu, The reason might be the Disable Factory Reset option. If this Disable Factory Reset feature control option has been deployed, you cannot see factory reset option. You can check it in the web console the profile configuration(s) and confirm whether this feature is activated or not. You can reset your device after disabling it.
What is the purpose of resetting phone?
A factory data reset erases all your data and information from the phone. Data stored in your Google Account can be restored. all the apps and their data will be uninstalled. All videos and photos will be deleted. All files in your device also be deleted and all the system settings will be deleted. If you wanna them back, back up your data to the Google Account. After reset you can restore them.
Can I reset my phone without losing everything?
There is no way to reset your phone or any other device without losing everything. The only way to keep your data is back up your data before doing a factory reset and restore it after the reset is completed. Google’s has their built-in backup feature and using it you can back up your data. It is the easiest way to back up your data.