How To Fix Samsung Galaxy Watch When Its Not Turning On, Easily
If you are a Samsung Galaxy Watch user, you might have experienced this issue. Although you tap the display or press the buttons, your Samsung Galaxy watch doesn’t turn on and it gets stuck on a black screen. Samsung Galaxy Watch is one of the top smart and fitness watch among other watches. If you have got this issue, you must be really frustrating. There is no need to worry, keep reading this article and you would be able to know how to fix Samsung Galaxy Watch when its not turning on.
You might think the reason for this issue is watch’s battery capacity. Samsung Galaxy Watches battery capacity is solid and it cannot be the main reason for this issue. The 590-mAh battery capacity of the Watch 5 Pro, and the 340mAh of the Samsung Galaxy Watch and Galaxy Active Watch 2, 247mAh (S) / 361mAh (L) of the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 model, 284mAh (S) / 410mAh (L) of the Watch 5 models have proved it.
Before going to troubleshoot this issue, there is one thing you need to make sure of. It is your watch and the Wearable app need to run their latest versions. Because outdated firmware and software can cause this issue also.
Force reboot your Samsung watch
If your watch is vibrate and if you can hear it makes some sounds, which means that your watch is on. Only problem is your screen is not turning on. If yes, you need to reboot it, to fix Samsung Galaxy Watch when its not turning on. Follow below steps to reboot your Samsung watch.
- Press and hold both side buttons on your watch, and don’t let those buttons to go until you see the Samsung logo and the screen displays “Rebooting…”. This will take 10-20 seconds.
- After you see the rebooting message on the screen, release the buttons. Wait for the watch to restart.
- If you can’t press buttons, you need to clear them and make sure there’s nothing stuck or blocking them. Then try again to force a restart.
You can do this rebooting process when your watch is on its charger and as well as when its not. If you wouldn’t success in your first attempt, then try again it for few times.
replacing your watch’s battery
There is a chance to fix Samsung Galaxy Watch when its not turning on by replacing a new battery.
Start with the charging dock
This problem often happens when a faulty connection problem that is related to the charging cradle. If you have got this issue because of charging cradle, here is the way to fix it.
- Let your Galaxy Watch on the charger overnight and let it charge to 100%. The charge time of your watch depends on the watch’s condition and the charger’s condition. You need to follow this step because your watch might not be turned on because its battery has completely drained.
2. If above step wouldn’t work, the reason might be with the outlet that you regularly use. If its not operating, it can be caused some issues. Therefore try again to charge your watch overnight using an alternate outlet or power source that you know works correctly.
3. You need to check your Samsung Wireless charger cable also. If there is any signs of fraying, you need to replace a new Samsung Charging wireless cable instead. If you cannot replace it, then use a electrical tape or Sugru over the fraying portion and try again to charge.
4. You need to make sure to use the correct wireless charger. If you have got some other smartwatches, you might be switching your charger with another charger. Because most of these wireless chargers look the same. Therefore make sure to use a right charger. And also old Samsung watch’s chargers are not suitable to charge your new watch.
Galaxy Watch not turning on due to faulty charging
- Charge your watch using the wireless charger that came with your watch. Let it to be on the cradle for a couple of hours.
- Wait about an hour or two, if you still cannot see the charging indicator on your watch’s display, press the Power button on your watch while your watch is charging. If your watch turn on to show the power indicator, let the charging continue and wait until the watch is fully charged.
- Hold down the Power button when the watch is on the charger. Wait for the watch to power on or respond.
- After an hour or two of charging press the Power button. If your Galaxy watch does not show charging status but appears warm to touch, Which means that your Galaxy watch is too hot. It as entered to the thermal shutdown mode. Your watch cannot be charged until it cools down. Therefore remove the watch and let it to be cool. After place it on the charger. Runaway apps also caused the watch to enter into thermal shutdown mode.
- You need to make sure to nothing is between the charger and the device like dust and tape. Issues like this can be happened because of accumulated dust or debris on the charger. Back of your smartwatch can collected dust also. Use a clean piece of cloth and clean out any dirt from the charger and the back of the watch. Now you can try again to charging.
- Change the charger’s power source. You can move to a wall outlet from the laptop. When charging via PC or laptop, the device need to be ON and not in sleep mode. You can make sure that the charger gets power by using the USB head on another device or outlet.
- Try to drain your watch’s battery entirely. You can leave it uncharged for few days. Then, place it on the charging dock, wait an hour or two and press the Power button. Check whether if it shows that it’s charging or not.
After doing this, if you can see charging process taking to long to complete, you may have to get a replacement charging cradle for your Galaxy Watch.
Check for stuck buttons and clean
The side buttons on the watch can accumulate dirt or debris. If they are not working or you need to attempt few times to make them work, then clean them using a microfiber cloth, or some rubbing alcohol. You can also put a little rubbing alcohol on your finger and rub around them.
What does the charger’s LED light mean?
If your charger has an LED light and it shows different color lights, the meaning is given below.
- Red: Charging
- Green: Fully charged
- Red > Green > Orange: Standby mode
- Orange: Connected to a low-power adaptor
Samsung Galaxy Watch not turning on and shows a black screen
Your watch has charged properly. But it is not turning on and shows a black screen. What would do in such situations.
- Open the Galaxy Wear app on your phone to confirm this.
- Go to the app’s Home page and check the battery information at the top of the screen. Battery percentage is greater than 20 – 25%. But your watch shows a black screen and it is not turning on, then you need to do a soft reset.
The way of doing soft reset to fix Samsung Galaxy Watch when its not turning is given below.
- Press and hold the Power button on the watch when it is charging
- You would be able to see the Power Off button on the Options screen
- Select on Power Off
- After the watch is powered off, press and hold the Power button until the Samsung logo appears, after that release the button.
- This soft reset process will help to fix the unresponsive issue on your watch.
There is another way to reset your watch also. You can do it using the long-press method. Here are the steps.
- Hold down the power button and keep it pressed. You will be able to see a message saying it’s rebooting. Do this while your Galaxy watch is charging.
- Wait about 5-10 seconds, then it’ll reboot automatically, and your watch should start work normally.
- If it doesn’t show the watch is rebooting message, press and hold the Power button and Back button until you see a message that it’s rebooting.
Power Saving Mode and charging
If you wanna restart your watch, you need to charge it overnight or more. Specially if it is in power saving mode, you need to charge it before loosing it’s charge. If your wireless charger for the watch is not showing signs of charging, you can use the Wireless Power share on the back of your phone. Your phone is Galaxy S20+, you can give it a try. If this works and your phone is being charged, now you can use the power button on the watch to soft reset the watch.
If your watch is already in low level of battery, the watch display will remain blank for up to 5 minutes before a low battery image appears. It can take about 15 minutes to 2 hours before the device can be powered using the normal wireless charger. Therefore, to avoid such problems, don’t let your phone to be drained.
Galaxy Watch charging but keeps blinking?
If your Galaxy Watch charging but keeps blinking, you can use the Reset feature from the app on your phone. Using it you can reset the Samsung Galaxy Watch. If your watch is still connected to your phone via Bluetooth connection, you can try this. But it will be the last option, because it will disconnect your Bluetooth connection from the app and your phone after reset your watch. Before going for a reset, you need to back up all the data in your watch. Follow below steps for it.
- Open the Galaxy Wearable app on your paired phone.
- Select Watch settings > Account and Backup.
- Select Backup data.
- Any Music that you saved on your watch won’t backed up.
- App data and app settings, your watch faces and their settings, and any customized system settings will be backed up.
reset your Samsung Galaxy Watch using the Wearable app
- Go to the Galaxy Wearable app on your Phone.
- Some models require to select Watch settings.
- Select on General.
4. Select Reset
When you are doing this, the watch will returns to its factory defaults. All your data like personal information, any settings, personalized features will be deleted. Therefore make sure to back up them. If you cannot access to the Wearable app or your watch doesn’t show up, you can try to manually reset the Galaxy Watch using the buttons on the watch. Here are the steps, you need to follow in this matter.
- Press the Home key until Rebooting message displays on the watch’s bottom.
- Then press the Home key repeatedly until you see the REBOOT MODE menu on your watch’s screen.
- Then press the Home key multiple times until you select Recovery
4. Press and hold the Home key. Keep holding it until Rebooting message appears at the bottom of the screen.
5. The Galaxy Watch 4 model will show an additional menu:
- Swipe down and select factory reset / Wipe data, then swipe right.
- Swipe down again and select Factory data reset, and swipe right to execute the reset.
- After the reset is completed, swipe right to reboot the watch again.
Restore your Galaxy Watch’s data after a reset
After doing a factory reset, you can restore your back up data. Follow below steps for it.
- Go to the Galaxy Wearable app on your paired phone.
- Select Watch settings > Account and Backup.
- Select Restore data.
Using above methods, you will be able to fix Samsung Galaxy Watch when its not turning on, easily. If all the above methods wouldn’t work get help from Samsung’s experienced technicians and let them to check your device. If you need to replace a new battery follow the steps provided by iFixit after buying a suitable battery.